Saturday, May 22, 2010

Lily Propagation - bulblets, bulbils, scaling

I love this Oriental Lily cultivar Casablanca,( Genus Lilium )

The flower has a fantastic scent & looks great when it blooms summer time.

My Lily has produced bulblets with their own roots, so I will seperate them & move to another pot.






I mananged to get 3 bulblets so I potted them in a seperate container just below the surface. These bulbs will pull themselves down into the soil to protect themselves till they are ready to grow new shoots etc. Again never overwater the new bulbs to avoid root dampening which will cause them to rot & die .




This one had a shoot already so I kept it above the soil obviuosly :)





Very interesting methods to propagate lilies.

Lily Propagation - bulblets, bulbils, scaling

2 comments:

  1. Way to go on the potting of the little babies, Ibrahim! I do the same thing in early spring when the little ones surrounding the larger stem show near the surface, planting them in another bed to grow on.
    Frances

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am honoured by your comment Frances.Glad to know I am doing something right at last :)

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog