Sunday, May 23, 2010

Growing your own ginger

Having come across the fact that ginger has Rhizomes I rushed off to my local grocery store to buy some fresh ones to try planting them. Don't forget I am a green newbie gardener :)



Ginger rhizome with 2 fingers

Nice node here


Yes that's my finger here not the ginger finger I was talking about.
Someone is falling asleep I think .
Before cutting any plants or plant parts I intend to grow , graft or bud I always use rubbing alcohol to clean my tools

Also I used a diluted antiseptic to clean the plant.








I cut the rhizome into 3 parts as I intend to try planting into different soil mixes to see which works best.

 



I put the cut ginger rhizome into a zip lock bag & kept in the refrigerator as I intend to plant them tomorrow. (It was after sunset when I came back from shopping :)  )












This rhizome looked a bit dry I left it to soak in water overnight to hopefully speed things up when it's planted.











I will keep you posted about the results offcourse.



If you allow the ginger to grow without disturbing the rhizome this is the flower you will get,

Zingiber officinale Roscoe / ginger is grown for either the roots or the flowers :)


Image courtesy of  http://www.ktropicals.com/











 

This is the new shoot after almost 3 weeks  on 14/06/2010.





Species Zingiber officinale Roscoe – garden ginger

4 comments:

  1. When will we taste your home bred ginger? :)

    Talal again, I don't have any of the below required profiles to add comment! :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok I changed settings so that anyone can post but I have to approve the comment before it appears.

    As for the ginger wait a few months pls for the fresh ginger :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. make sure not to buy young rhizome.
    put it in damp place to let it grow. then plant it. it take 8 months or a year to crop.

    it is easy to grow if you have enough sunshine.
    here are photos of my ginger plants:
    http://larassejati.multiply.com/photos/album/121/

    Here are the crop after 8 months:
    http://larassejati.multiply.com/photos/album/156/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Ado for stopping by.
    Just curious why you said don't buy young rhizome ? If they have nodes/ fingers /buds etc they should be ok really no ?

    I normally plant rhizomes directly into the potting mix & they seem to be doing fine.

    All the best

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog