Thursday, May 27, 2010

Carissa macrocarpa or Natal plum

I finally managed to get a positive identification for a plant that I really like. it's called Carissa macrocarpa.
It's native to South Africa. Likes sun to partial shade. Tolerant to many types of soil . Prefers Sandy soil but main thing is that soil should be well drained. The leaves are nice leathery green colour.
Flower scent is like jasmine. Shrub can be trimmed to make small walls. Had it for two years now & it's grown to 3ft - 1 meter almost. Never had problems with disease on leaves etc.




It produces a small sweet plum edible though some say seeds are poisonous. They use the plum in South Africa to make jam.

Just bought five more plants the minute I saw them at my local vendor.


One thing I don't like about this plant is the prickly thorns but Roses have thorns also .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog