Monday, June 28, 2010

Who needs a nursery when you have your local store

Sometimes it's very difficult to obtain seeds or plants to propagate whatever you like as fruits or vegetables. Also some fruits will never grow true from seed.
                               
Having had success with ginger rhizomes (original post here) I started exeprimenting with  more  plants purchased from my local store.

Some healthy Garlic ( Allium sativum )

  bulbs caught my fancy (well suppsoed to gaurd against vampires no  :)  ?  )
I seperated the cloves from the bulb & planted seperately although as an experiment I planted one whole bulb to see how it will do. Garlic usually needs a sunny spot & regular watering, but as with most plants never soak the plant to avoid root rot etc. 

Personally I love beet / beetroot (Beta vulgaris )as it has lots of fibre & vitamins . I planted this big one as is (I could have easily cut 1-2 com from top & planted that alone -see second photo ) . Again I am experimenting.   Turnips were a big failure as the green leafy part grew then died back . I am still watering it to see if new shoots will grow.





Garlic after 18 days of plating - 28/06/2010





Beetroot on 28/06/2010 ( after 18 days ) seems to be ok so far :)



















10 comments:

  1. Well thanks meemsync for stopping by :)

    All the best
    Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gone through your blog and found it wonderful. it was nice going through your blog. Iflorist.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ibrahim,
    Just found you on Blotanical.
    I really enjoy turnips & parsnips but haven't tried to grow them yet.
    I believe we call the 'turnip' pictured 'rutabaga' but it's called something else in the U.K.
    In terms of the music, your choice is excellent! However, I think it is difficult for some computers to load a site that has music.
    Cheers,
    Alice
    aka Alice's Garden Travel Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alice thanks for stopping by. As for music I think will remove it , as from small survey more than 50% don't like background music unless I can find a way to make it start in silent mode :)

    All the best
    Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  5. To think about it, growing plants is relatively easy because bulbs, cuttings and seeds are easily available.
    As always, the heart warms as new shoot appears... lovely baby plants you have there.

    ~bangchik

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nothing beats the satisfaction of seeing the the first shoots and leaves of these bulbs and roots sprouting and growing day by day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Bangchick for stopping by. Hope these babies can survive this awfull summer heat.

    Ibrahim

    ReplyDelete
  8. That beetroot's a great idea, especially as I love to cook the leaves but I'm not keen on the root. I've had great success with local potatoes. The little potatoes you get ater a couple of months taste fabulous. And onions produce really nice flowers here. I wonder if your garlic will flower...

    carol

    ReplyDelete

Search This Blog