Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Air layering my Carissa Macrocarpa

This thorny plant ( Carissa Macrocarpa ) started to grow towards the garden path. Since I will trim it away from the path anyway , I decided to try my hand at air layering technique for propagating plants.

The theory is that if you wound a plant stem it will under the right circumstances try to grow new roots. Once the roots grow , you cut below the root area & transplant somewhere else in the garden,








Tools needed are simple. Sharp knife , plastic bag & some moist compost or clean potting mix. As usual I clean my knife with alcohol to stop spreading bacteria while cutting the plant.

As always be carefull handling any sharp tools. I would recommend wearing gloves when handling any kind of plant as some could be poisonous or causes skin irritation.











Here is the plant is cleared of thorns & leaves where we will cut.


















I cut a circular cut around the whole stem then another cut below it approx 3-5 cm below it. Then a vertical straight cut from the top cut to the bottom then started to remove the bark & cambium.
















Now I wrapped the plastic bag below the cut area using a wire wrapper. Then started to fill the bag with moist potting mix & shaped it like a ball around the cut area.

















I tied the top of the bag with another wrapper & used a stake to support the extra weight.
Hopefully within a few weeks it should start start to root. I will be opening the top of the bag every now & then to examine the progress & remoisting the bag. Some recommend covering the bag with alumunium foil to keep it moist.

Here's a video from You tube if you are interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog